ABOUT THE KINGFISH COMPANY
We're on a mission
to change the global seafood market.
When capacity constraints force an established industry to go through a Paradigm Shift, the Sea Change can be significant- challenging traditional production methods, while providing unparalleled opportunity for innovative newcomers.
Our mission at The Kingfish Company is to be a first-mover in technology driven aquaculture, and establish ourselves as a market leader in the sustainable production of high value Marine Seafood.
Solar panels on the roof of the Kingfish Zeeland site in Kats, The Netherlands
With an optimally located site on the shores of the Oosterschelde marine nature reserve in the Netherlands servicing the EU market daily, full cycle hatchery, an on site R&D facility, and an advanced grow-out system; and a 2nd site in development in Jonesport Maine for the US market, The Kingfish Company is a first mover operating at the cutting edge of sustainable, land based, high value marine aquaculture in the EU and the US.
To grow a high quality product, our fish must thrive in the most optimal conditions.
Sustainability and respect to our fish and the environment are at the core of Kingfish Zeeland’s values, and inform our design, operations, and technology decisions. Substantial efforts and costs have been incurred in order to assure that our operation is safe and healthy for our customers, stress-free and humane to our fish, and careful to protect the nature that surround us. Our sustainability measures include:
• No Antibiotics, No Vaccines: keeping our water pristine has its benefits happy healthy fish in optimal conditions can do without antibiotics or vaccines.
• Green Energy: Our operation runs on 100% renewable energy, sourced from wind, solar and biogas. Responsible Choice: Kingfish Zeeland is excited to be recognized and recommended as a “Green Choice” by:
• Heat Exchangers: To minimize energy use for heating, our warm outflow water transfers heat to our incoming water via a state of the art heat-exchange system custom designed for marine water use.
• Fresh Water Conservation: Operating on sea water, we do not waste a precious and rare resource.
• Aquaponics: Our outflow water is rich in nutriants before it is biologically purified in our internal water treatment systems, in order to keep discharge as low as possible. With that in mind, we intend to maximize the use of our outflow as fertilizer for Salicornia crops and Algae production.
• Bio Security: waste water treatment with incorporated solids removal, ensures a safe discharge of our outflow water. As an additional safety measure, the discharge of our hatchery and quarantaine units is sterilized by powerful UV and Ozone treatment, ensuring no biological impact from the farm to its natural surroundings.
• Bio Diversity Protection: Unlike traditional cage farming, our farm is on land and our output treatment system ensures that it is technically impossible for our fish to escape and mix with the natural surroundings. It is important to note, that even if there was a possibility for the fish to escape, the natural sea temperature in Zeeland is too cold for the Dutch Yellowtail to survive.
• Animal Welfare: Dutch Yellowtail was granted permission as a production species in Holland in 2012, based on the results of a 3 year independent research with a major focus on animal welfare. Kingfish Zeeland continues to implement further improvements based on the already developed know-how in this field, first and foremost out of respect for the animal itself and our social responsibility, and even from a commercial perspective- a happy fish performs better.
A Oost-Zeedijk 13
4485 PM Kats, the Netherlands
T +31 (0) 113 74 54 61